01/07/14 6:32pm
Hi SGL!
30/06/14 12:18pm
sGL <3

Windows 7 Tweaks - Epic thread

Tue 26th Oct 2010 4:37pm

SGLP: 100
http://i.imgur.com/6ozj1.jpg

** I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OUTCOMES OF USING THIS GUIDE, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU FOLLOW THIS CORRECTLY, EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE. **

Hi there, another atrociously epic thread detailing on how to tweak and speed up Windows7!

Ok lets start tweaking with services.

Click START > type Services.msc > Enter

You should now have -

http://i.imgur.com/eBded.jpg

Now anything that you change from here on out, if anything stops working or doesnt work how it should, return back to here and re-enable anything that you have disabled.

OR

set the services to manual start-up rather than disabled, that way if your pc requires to start a service it can do. (if its disabled your pc wont be able to start it without your intervention.)

I will list the services that I have disabled and have had no problems so far (been running for about 8 months)

I suggest you can disable the following:

• ActiveX Installer - provides UAC validation for ActiveX controls (if your not retarded @ using the internet, then its ok to disable ;) )

• Adaptive Brightness - Monitors light and adjusts brightness accordingly

• Application Layer Gateway - Supports 3rd party plugins for internet connection sharing, If you do not use ICS, you can safely disable this.

• Application Management - Provides the ability to screw around with software via the group policy. (basically.. unless you know what this does, you dont need it.)

• Bitlocker Drive Encryption service - I dont use BitLocker, and I doubt you do either. (why would you? plenty of better free apps out there)

• BlueTooth Support Service - I do not use Bluetooth or ever plan to use it, Safe to disable if you dont use bluetooth.

• BranchCache - caches content from peers on the local network, not really intended for home use as such, more corporate.

• Certificate Propagation - copys certificates from smartcards into users certificate store. Disable this unless you use a Smartcard with your computer (more of a high level corporate security thing..)

• Distributed Link Tracking Client - For use in instances such as: You have 2 computers networked together, you make a shortcut on computer B which opens a file on computer A, you move the file on computer A to a different location and the shortcut on computer B updates itself to point at the files new location.

• Distibuted Transaction Coordinator - Coordinates transactions that span mutiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues and file systems.

• Fax - Do you use faxes? if so, leave enabled, on the offchance that you dont use fax (who doesnt? *sarcasm*) disable it :)

• Function Discovery Provider Host - Windows Media Center uses this service to connect to extenders and the "Homegroup" connectivity requires this service, If like me, you use neither, disable it.

• Funcation Discovery Resource Publication - Publishes your computer and resources so they can be found over the network, "Homegroup" requires this also, If like me, you use neither, disable it.

• Health Key and Certificate Management - Provides X.509 certificate and key management support for the NAPAgent, Unless you know of anything that uses this, disable it.

• Homegroup Listener - Enables your pc to work flawlessly with a HomeGroup, if you dont use homegroups or your pc is a standalone pc (like mine) then it is safe to disable this.

• Homegroup Provider - As above.

• Human Interface Device Access - Controls the usage of hotkeys such as volume controls on keyboards, copy buttons on scanners etc. (majority of stuff like that comes with its own drivers so its ok to disable it, but if you find a hotkey isnt working, enable this again)

• Internet Connection Sharing - Disable this if you dont use ICS (99% of people will probably not use ICS but if your internet doesnt work after disabling this, enable it.)

• IP Helper - enables tunnel connectivity for IPv6 technologies, since very little ISP's use IPv6, you can go ahead and disable.

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper - Creates a Network Map, consisting of PC and device topology (connectivity) information, and metadata describing each PC and device. If this service is disabled, the Network Map will not function properly.

• Media Center Extender Service - Allows extenders to connect to your pc

• Microsoft iSCSi Initiator Service - allows iSCSi sessions from your pc to remote iSCSi target devices, if you dont use iSCSi, disable

• Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service - should be safe to disable this.

• NetLogon - This service isnt really required on a standalone pc, or even for a "home" system, but it is required to logon to a domain controller, disable, if it goes tits up, enable.

• Network Access Protiection Agent - This service isnt really valid for home use, pretty much corporate only.

• Offline Files - Unless you syncronise between computers, disable this service

• Parental Controls - ...lol...

• Peer Name Resolution Protocol - Enables serverless peer name resolution over the internet (remote assistanance etc.)

• Peer Networking Grouping - Enables multi-party communication using Peer-to-Peer Grouping. If disabled, some applications, such as HomeGroup, may not function.

• Peer Networking Identity Manager - Same as above basically.

• PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator - Media Center Extenders may use this service to communicate. If you are using such a device and it fails to function, reenable this service.

• PNRP Machine Name Publication Service - If you do not plan on using Remote Assistance or Homegroup, disable this.

• Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support - This service provides support for viewing, sending and deletion of system-level problem reports for the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel.

If you choose to disable this service, it may be due to privacy concerns with sending Microsoft your error reports. If so, to help ensure it will not be utilized even if the service is turned back on due to a future Windows Update, do the following:

Note: you must have administrator privileges to perform some of these actions.

With the default Category Control Panel:

1. Head to Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System and Security
4. Select Action Center
5. Select Change Action Center settings
6. Select Problem reporting settings
7. Select Change report settings for all users
8. Select Never check for solutions(not recommended)
9. Select the Ok button to apply the settings

• Program Compatibility Assistant Service - This service provides support for the Program Compatibility Assistant (PCA). PCA monitors programs installed and run by the user and detects known compatibility problems. If this service is stopped, PCA will not function properly.

• Quality Windows Audio Video Experience - qWAVE is a networking platform for streaming over home networks provides QoS for Audio/Video applications. (if you dont stream videos from 1 pc to another over your home network, disable this)

• Remote Access Auto Connection Manager - Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address. You may require this service for some direct cable or DSL providers and connections, depending on how they implement their logon process. If your dial-up, cable or DSL internet access no longer functions properly with this service disabled, place this service into Automatic. If you use a hardware gateway or router, this service is not required.

• Remote Access Connection Manager - Manages dial-up and virtual private network (VPN) connections from this computer to the Internet or other remote networks. You may require this service for some direct cable or DSL providers and connections, depending on how they implement their logon process. If your dial-up, cable or DSL internet access no longer functions properly with this service disabled, place this service into Automatic. If you use a hardware gateway or router, this service is not required.

• Remote Desktop Configuration - Controls majority of things related to Remote Desktop, disable if you dont plan on using it.

• Remote Desktop Services - Remote desktop? Dont use it? Lose it.

• Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector - Allows the redirection of Printers/Drives/Ports for RDP connections.

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - In Windows 2003 and earlier versions of Windows, the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service manages the RPC name service database. In Windows Vista and later versions of Windows, this service does not provide any functionality and is present for application compatibility.

• Remote Registry - Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer, This is one of those not needed services. One of the first I disable. If you are paranoid about security, disable this service. Even if you are not or do not care, disable it anyway.

• Routing and Remote Access - Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network environments.

• Smart Card - Disable as you probably dont use smart cards.

• Smart Card Removal Policy - Same as above

• SNMP Trap - Receives trap messages generated by local or remote Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) agents and forwards the messages to SNMP management programs running on this computer.

• Storage Service - Enforces group policy for storage devices.

• Tablet PC Input Service - Use a pc tablet? thought not, disable this.

• Windows CardSpace - Securely enables the creation, management, and disclosure of digital identities.

• Windows Color System - Controls colour rendering, it is safe to disable this.

• Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar - The first time you connect to a compatible Wireless router, Windows 7 will step through all the necessary setup tasks to make connecting wirelessly "easier". If you do not have a wireless network or your particular model does not have the "Compatible with Windows 7" logo, this service can safely be disabled.

• Windows Defender - Protection against spyware and potentially unwanted software.

• Windows Error Reporting Service - Same as "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support".

• Windows Media Center Receiver Service - Windows Media Center Service for TV and FM broadcast reception.

• Windows Media Center Scheduler Service - Starts and stops recording of TV programs within Windows Media Center.

• Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - Shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play.

• Windows Search - Provides content indexing, property caching, and search results for files, e-mail, and other content. I dont do that much searching and when I do, I dont mind waiting an extra 10 seconds for my pc to find what im after, Hogs alot of resources.

• WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service - WinHTTP implements the client HTTP stack and provides developers with a Win32 API and COM Automation component for sending HTTP requests and receiving responses. In addition, WinHTTP provides support for auto-discovering a proxy configuration via its implementation of the Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) protocol.

• WLAN AutoConfig - is a service that configures wireless security and connectivity settings, if you dont use wireless, you dont need this running

• WWAN AutoConfig - Configures connectivity settings for the likes of Mobile broadband etc.

You may also want to disable the Nvidia Display Driver Service and Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service, I have disabled both and have had no adverse effects.

speeding up boot times

Start > msconfig > select Boot tab > click Advanced Options > tick Number of Processors and select however many you have. > Click ok > tick No GUI boot > Click ok.

by ticking No GUI boot, it will not display the windows loading screen thus speeding up the booting process slightly.

http://i.imgur.com/wgFii.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gqkEn.jpg

Disable Windows Aero Theme

• Right Click on your Desktop and select "Personalize " click the Window Color Tab.

• Uncheck the Box saying " Enable Transparency " and then click on " Open classic appearance properties for more color options".

• A window will open up. Apply a Standard or Basic theme from it. The Standard Windows 7 theme is more preferred.

Disable unwanted visual effects

• Right click my computer and select properties

• Select Advanced system settings

• Ensure that you are on the "Advanced" tab, click settings on the "Performance" section

It'll open another window. Disable all unnecessary options in Visual Effects tab, you can leave following options enabled according to your requirements:

* Enable Aero Peek (If you want to use Aero Peek feature)
* Enable desktop composition (If you want to use Windows Aero theme)
* Enable transparent glass (If you want to use transparency in Windows)
* Show thumbnails instead of icons (If you want to show thumbnails in Explorer)
* Show window contents while dragging (If you want windows to show contents while moving them)
* Smooth edges of screen fonts (If you want to show smooth fonts)
* Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop (If you want to show shadows under desktop icon labels)
* Use visual styles on windows and buttons (If you want to use Windows Aero or Basic theme)

http://i.imgur.com/EdDub.jpg

I suggest that you untick all of them apart from the bottom 4.

Disable UAC

Do so at your own risk, I am confident that I do not need UAC, you might not be, well here is how to disable it if you wish to give it a go.

• Click start, go to control panel

• Click user accounts, click "Change user account control settings"

• Drag the slider to the bottom, "Never notify"

• Click ok and reboot to take effect.

http://i.imgur.com/IVHWR.jpg

Disable unused Windows 7 Features

• Click start, go control panel

• Click programs and features, Click "Turn Windows features on or off" from the lefthand side.

• Untick any features that you do not wish to use and reboot.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/ZYDhF.jpg

Disable the sidebar

• Right click on the sidebart and select properties

• On the properties window, untick the "Start sidebar when Windows starts" box

• Reboot.

Disable the Aero Snap and Aero peek features

• Click Start, Control panel

• go onto "Ease of access center"

• Click on the "Make it easier to focus on tasks"

• Untick the box saying "Prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen."

• Click apply/Ok and come out of that.

• Right click the Windows taskbar and select properties

• Untick the "Use aero peek to preview the desktop"

http://i.imgur.com/nvfIe.jpg

Change the powerplan to maximum

• Click start, go Control panel

• go on Power Options

• Click the down arrow to show additional plans

• Select the High performance plan

• you may go into the settings to tweak it slightly, i did :)

Disable Thumbnail previews to speed up file browsing

• Go onto my computer, select organise from the taskbar at the top

• Click "Folder and search options"

• Under "Files and Folders" section, go to the "view" tab and tick the checkbox showing "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

Disable any unwanted programs or things you dont need via msconfig

Start > msconfig > Startup tab > Browse through there, You can disable your graphics card's driver utility, Sound Card utility, etc to speed up the system startup and to increase system performance. If you dont know what anything is, just Google it.

Disable Password Protection on start up / Automatically login

This will speed up the login process, not by much, maybe a few seconds but every little helps!

Start > Run > control userpasswords2 > Untick "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" > Click OK.

Speed up the Menu Show Delay Time

Information: This will show you how to change the amount of time it takes for a menu in Windows 7 to pop, fade, or slide open when you run the mouse pointer over it.

Instructions:

* Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
* Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
* In regedit go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
* In the right pane, right click on MenuShowDelay and click on Modify

http://i.imgur.com/AlH2h.jpg

Type in a number between 0 to 4000 [400 is default, I use 1] for how many milliseconds you want the Menu to wait before it opens.

http://i.imgur.com/KM0Ea.jpg

* Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply the changes.

Note: The lower the number, the faster the response time. If you use an entry of 0, there is no menu display delay. However it is not recommended to use 0 though since the menus may be hard to navigate through at that speed.

Change the Mouse Hover Time before Pop-up Displays

Information: This will show you how to change the delay time, in milliseconds, that the mouse pointer has to stay hovered on a item before it is selected or opens a pop-up in Windows 7. For example, how long it takes for a taskbar open window button before to display it's thumbnail preview while hovering the mouse pointer over it.

Note: If you have the Animations in the taskbar and Start Menu option checked in Visual Effects, then you may not see much or any difference. You will need to uncheck this option first before doing the tutorial below.

http://i.imgur.com/LXh5V.jpg

Instructions:

* Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
* In regedit go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse
* In the right pane, right click on MouseHoverTime and click on Modify

http://i.imgur.com/t0MOo.jpg

Type in a number between 0 to 4000 [400 is default, I use 30] in milliseconds, that the mouse pointer has to stay hovered on a item before it is selected or opens a pop-up.

http://i.imgur.com/BAHJ8.jpg

* Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply the changes.

Note: The lower the number, the faster the response time. If you use an entry of 0, there is no delay before the taskbar thumbnail preview opens. However it is not recommended to use 0 though since it may be hard to navigate through the thumbnails at that speed.

Speed Up the Shut Down Time

Information: This will show you how to set the "Wait to Kill" time Windows 7 waits for programs to save data and close before shutting down.

Instructions:

* In regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l
* In the right pane, right click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and click on Modify

[img]http://i.imgur.com/gsj70.jpg[/imb]

Type in a number between 1000 to 20000 [1-20 seconds] [12000 is default, I use 1000].

http://i.imgur.com/2AHQb.jpg

Turn Off the Disk Defragmenter Schedule

Description: Disk Defragmenter schedule allows to run defragmentation automatically in Windows 7. Disk Defragmenter is set to run on a automatic schedule by default in Windows 7.

Instructions: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter -> Click on the Configure schedule button -> Uncheck the Run on a Schedule box -> Click on OK -> Close the window.

http://i.imgur.com/Qo5G2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HMyRF.jpg

Disable Hibernate

Start -> cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Hit ENTER -> Type exit -> Hit ENTER

I think thats about it, il add more if I come across any.

Enjoy!
Edited by Keith Chegwin on 26/10/10 4:39pm
Tue 26th Oct 2010 4:40pm

SGLP: 161
These equally as effective on laptop and pc?
Tue 26th Oct 2010 4:46pm

i do recommend this .....
Tue 26th Oct 2010 5:10pm
sleek had this in the bag ages ago :D
Tue 26th Oct 2010 5:14pm
SGLP: 106
some of that stuff is useful, some is down right scary :O
Tue 26th Oct 2010 5:15pm

THISISHOWWEDOIT said...

huh?

I actually wrote this 20th of November 2009 according to the properties of the notepad .txt document, just never been arsed to finish it off and post it

http://imgur.com/VWksk.png

Guess im a bit lazy huh :D
Tue 26th Oct 2010 5:30pm
SGLP: 107
do you know why everytime i restart my pc my brightness resets, so i have to go into nvidia settings and click "use nvidia settings" everytime?
Tue 26th Oct 2010 5:32pm

SGLP: 105
bookmarked!
Tue 26th Oct 2010 5:39pm

Excellent thread, well done!
Tue 26th Oct 2010 6:56pm

whoa nice i never knew about the amount of cores used by default when startin up and the waittokillservicetimeout cheers :D
Tue 26th Oct 2010 6:58pm

SGLP: 107
Keith Chegwin said...
THISISHOWWEDOIT said...

huh?

I actually wrote this 20th of November 2009 according to the properties of the notepad .txt document, just never been arsed to finish it off and post it

http://imgur.com/VWksk.png

Guess im a bit lazy huh :D

tbh though Andy Windows 7 was my idea :p

GJ on the thread
Thu 5th May 2011 1:05am
Ryflx said...
whoa nice i never knew about the amount of cores used by default when startin up and the waittokillservicetimeout cheers :D

The amount of cores on boot-up is pointless. Windows detects it automatically.
Getting rid of the excessive amount of services is always helpful though.
Thu 5th May 2011 3:32am
SGLP: 101
i'm just bumping this some more as i feel its a valuable topic.
Wed 23rd May 2012 11:58am

I'm scared....
Wed 23rd May 2012 12:12pm

Gna do this when I get home
Add a reply
You must be logged in to add a reply.

div

Related Links

Follow, like, subscribe and share!

Facebook Twitter Steam You Tube
RTL Servers
Latest gaming movies
Latest gaming news
© theSGL.com 2004-2014 | Terms & conditions | Privacy policy | Page generated in 43.48 ms. 5 DB queries.
Warning